Mid Century Mobile plugin problem

Gregg Sutter

18 Mar, 2016 07:54 PM

I've installed the Mid Century Mobile plugin on a Movable Type 4.37 installation. I created a mobile blog site-name.com/mobile and the index template and stylesheets work fine. However, when I click the entryTitle connected to the Permalink, it goes to the original blog.

I spoke to the designer of the plugin, Byrne Reese, and he couldn't recall exactly how he got the individual entry files to appear in the mobile blog. (It was 7 years ago!) However, Bryne has a working example at his site, majordojo.com/mobile which works perfectly.

He suggested that the answer might be to "rewrite rules to make URLs relative..." Note, I did not do app conversion on my entries in case that is relevant.

Jay, I know you list this plugin under "products" on this site. Is there a simple solution or is it more complicated? All I want to do is show a list of blog entries and then click to the individual entry. It seems simple, but it's not...at least for me.

Thanks, Gregg.
ps. we go back to 2003 on MT.

1. 1 Posted by Gregg Sutter on 18 Mar, 2016 07:56 PM

It should have read that I didn't do a PHP conversion.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Dan Wolfgang on 25 Mar, 2016 02:14 PM

Hey Gregg -- my guess is that something like the CrossPoster plugin was used (a plugin from 2007; it was eventually open-sourced and I made a few updates in 2011. That would provide a way to get entries from the "main" blog to the new "mobile" blog that the Mid Century Mobile template set provides.

But really, today, this is an antiquated system with lots of caveats that make it a downright bad choice. It's easy to see how managing content in two blogs is going to increase the effort to manage it. I doubt Custom Fields, tags, or assets are supported as they are things that were new or just being ironed out in 2007. Crossposting content to another blog doesn't do things like create an image in a mobile-friendly size nor does it update existing URLs to point to mobile-friendly URLs.

I very highly recommend looking into responsive design as a way to solve these issues. It's a large topic with a lot of considerations (read: it's not cheap to do correctly). The easiest way to get started with it on MT4 is probably the Bootstrap Theme -- I never tried it and it's not maintained but might be worth trying. MT6 includes a few responsive themes as well, which can serve as a starting point. Neither of these are comprehensive solutions but they can be a place to start and offer the basic functionality typical of a responsive design. Good luck!

3. Dan Wolfgang closed this discussion on 25 Mar, 2016 02:14 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac